Friday, January 7, 2011

If one's a Theory, then what's the other?

So guess how lazy I am...C'mon guess...Extraordinarily is the answer yes.
Here, this is what I wrote for my tumblr page. I liked it, thought I'd post it here too because well..I wanted to post here.

So I was watching some TV, as one young adult at university should be doing, when I heard the reference to the 'Many Worlds Theory'. Now I immediately thought, "Man I could really use an Iced Tea right about now..."

However slightly later but with the same amount of passion and curiosity I thought; "What is the difference between the Multiverse Theory and the Many Worlds Theory?"

Now I haven't looked up anything about the Many Worlds Theory (MWT) because from my knowledge it is exactly the same as the Multiverse Theory (MT). Both postulate the idea that there are an infinite number of universes where every possibility is played out, changes may be virtually non-existent or ridiculously radical. Now to be fair I'm not 100% on these as the theories behind the Theories, but it is my understanding.

My driving question, the bullet point of this blog if you will, is why are there two names? And why have I only heard of the MWT recently...Why is it becoming more and more popular in mainstream TV Shows?

Also if they are the same thing, why say Many Worlds Theory...The Multiverse sounds so very much cooler.

Because I haven't looked up the answers to these questions I just plain don't know, but I'm just guessing that the MT was a registered copyrighted name to someone and they got all annoyed about people throwing it around so they just came up with the MWT.


Well there you have it...Me being me because I can.

BYEE!

1 comment:

  1. My understanding of it is the whole "a world for every possible outcome" theory is in fact the MWT, whereas the multiverse theory is more of an umbrella term that incorporates many different theories (including MWT) about the possibility and theoretical aspects of there being multiple universes.

    ReplyDelete