Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Every Waking moment.

So I just finished Alan Wake.
First up, I'm just going to give impressions on the game and let someone (see Scoot here) do the real reviewing etc.

Now...It's pretty damn good! There is a good amount of content, nice game play and a very good job with the psychological horror aspect. Spooked me more than once just with the cool voicing style they use for some of the characters. My favourite line in terms of spookiness is when the main antagonist (not trying to give away spoilers) is controlling a diner worker...

After the diner worker hangs up the phone to you, it cuts to a visual of her and the baddy just saying "good girl". Obviously in a more creepy voice. And my favourite line just as is, starts of really high pitched and then turns into a low rumbling/triple voice kind of thing that just says (out of sight) "You take two pills in the morning and then YOU'LL BE CALM ALL DAY LONG!" Followed closely by "We're making a comeback tour, baby!" *As he bludgeons a nurse with a hammer*

But enough of that. It is a very fun game that I highly recommend you at least look into. Good graphics, I've read some forums and shit that get all uppity about it not giving a full 720p output or what ever, but honestly you don't notice it...Graphics are great throughout.
The whole light/torch thing is great gameplay aspect. The game is more realistic what without the aiming thing, reticle? So it feels more realistic to play. I'm also a fan (if a little annoyed at times during gameplay) at the design style of the game, in which they take away all your awesome gear at the end of each episode and such, usually forcing you to start from scratch in terms of guns and lights etc (they explain it rather well too). It forces you to use your flare guns and all your ammo so you can't horde for the later boss fight and such, which I think is quite a good way to play it, especially when you're playing a thriller game designed to keep you on edge.

The best bit...The (as that French term states that I can't spell...Cou de gra?) of it all however (WITHOUT GIVING SPOILERS) is the battle on the Rock stage...That's the most I'll say.

In closing, check the game out. It is quite awesome however I see that other than collectables there won't be much replay value so I recommend hiring it for a week. You'll get a good go out of it, and possible a good shock or too. (Made me feel awkward after a particularly hard bit at like 3am and then deciding to walk the totally empty dark hallways to go to the bathroom...I got jumpy to say the least)

Play it.

Thank you for having me, I've had a wonderful time.

2 comments:

  1. Well put. Both myself and Steve are also major fans of Alan Wake and found it equally creepy (Steve had to wander into his yard to feed his dog after playing Alan Wake... Hilarious).

    ReplyDelete