Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Classic living.

So I'm in my university room, it's tiny, I can't yet get my 360 connected to Xbox Live and I have a stack of games that mostly require (not literally but half the fun is online play these days) XBL. So what do I do? I re-live some classic gaming that's what!
So I've just now started up a Morrowind game on my 360 and let me tell you...It's simply beautiful. Sure visually it looks blocky and jagged, but it's these faults and little details that make it so loveable and pure fun. The game play of Morrowind is just so free, and fresh (to me) compared to games today. I mean sure they are old but also fresh. All the gameplay mechanics of Oblivion or Fable 2 or Borderlands and so on, are unique and new and mostly built up off of the more original mechanics from their predecessors. So jumping back to Morrowind (admitadly not the oldest game I've played but by far on of the best) just reminds me of my first experience with it all. The excitment of such a massive world and total freedom of exploration and quest line.
It's such a great game and I advise you all to go back and re-live some of your classic gaming memories. Go back to your first MMO, your first RPG, your first FPS, adventure, action, puzzle what have you. Just go back to what got you interested in the genre, go back and submerge yourself in the old style, the old fun. And then go back futher or try some classics that you never played. History helps us understand our future and our lives...The same can be said of our old school videogames. They are the reason most of the games we play now are so good. We think of the storyline from the first or the different elements that made it so fun and how they are going to be translated into the sequel.
All in all, having no Xbox Live and a stack of old games has made me realise I really, really missed them, until now.

I'll see you guys later.
Cheerio.

2 comments: